|Season 2, Episode 5|
|Release date||March 11, 2016|
|Written by||William N. Fordes|
|Directed by||Ernest Dickerson|
| ← previous|
"Who's Lucky Now?"
| next →|
The episode is rated TV-MA for "adult content, adult language," and "graphic violence."
At the Hollywood station, Edgar arranges dinner with his girlfriend at Mozza before Carl Nash arrives to tell Bosch that, six months prior, he witnessed Tony Allen arguing with another man while doing his rounds at Hidden Highlands. He agrees to try to identify the man from a six-pack, but fails to pick out Rykov, but identifies a photograph of Joey Marks from a second set of pictures.
That afternoon, Bosch and Edgar arrive in Las Vegas, discussing the FBI's interest in Rykov and Marks as they search for an address that Allen had designated as an office in his tax returns. They find the Luxe Apartments, where the manager leads them to Layla's apartment, which appears abandoned; Edgar finds the girl's cellphone submerged in a pot filled with dirty dishwater, and Bosch finds an Armenian Bible with a photograph of a young Layla with an older woman.
Outside, Bosch and Edgar interview one of the escorts arrested with Rykov, who admits that Layla disappeared when she heard that Allen was dead. She refers to Allen as Layla's "guardian angel," explaining that Layla had been working in a cathouse before Allen got her out.
At the Olympic Coffee Shop in Los Angeles, George Irving meets with his father to discuss Arceneaux's plans for that night, and identifies Mo as Vice detective Maureen O'Grady. Irvin expresses his confidence in his son's ability to take down Arceneaux and his associates' operations.
In Las Vegas, Bosch and Edgar visit Layla's previous address, but the brothel madam tells the girls in Armenian to "keep [their] fucking mouths shut" lest she tells Marks, who will "cut out [their] tongues." The woman claims that Layla hasn't worked at the brothel for a couple of years, though another girl claims that Layla – whose real name is Lilliat Saroyan – met a client who fell in love with her. As the detectives leave, Bosch assures Edgar that he'll reach out to Felton to check into the brothel.
At Pat's Liquor & Market in Los Angeles, George picks up coffee and doughnuts without paying.
At the LAPD Headquarters Building, Deputy Chief Irving calls his son and leaves a message for George to call back, claiming that his mother wants to know about his plans for that evening.
In Las Vegas, Eleanor and Maddie exit Monicle Optical and leave the Container Park, being followed by a Dodge Ram Van.
At their hotel, Bosch and Edgar discuss their plans for the evening before Bosch takes a phone call from Maddie, who explains that she has been instructed to tell her father that she and Eleanor are okay. A man then tells Bosch not to call the police, and Bosch promises to tear the man's teeth out if he harms Eleanor or Maddie.
Bosch leaves the hotel, explaining to Edgar that his daughter and ex-wife have been kidnapped, and refuses Edgar's suggestion to call the Metro Police.
Bosch and Edgar head to Eleanor's residence where they find Eleanor's laptop, which they use to access the house's security system. On the cameras, they see a Wild Nature Florist truck pull up to the house before two men kidnap Eleanor and Maddie. They attempt to use the tracking application on Maddie's cellphone, but the device cannot be found, so the detectives use the history log to determine where Maddie was when she called. They pinpoint the location to Kyle Canyon Road, then leave to begin the twenty-mile drive.
In Las Vegas, Bosch and Edgar search Kyle Canyon Road until Bosch finds Maddie's shattered cellphone in the street.
In Los Angeles, Arceneaux's crew stops near Keswick Street to prepare to a raid on a "drop house," during which George will serve as "crowd control."
In Las Vegas, Bosch receives a call from one of Marks's associates; the detective warns Marks that if his family is harmed in any way, he will personally dismantle the Armenian mob and kill everyone involved. The man instructs Bosch to deliver Rykov to Marks the next day after the extradition hearing by delivering him to a truck stop in Primm near the California border. The man explains that Rykov will be extracted by Marks's men during the stop, after which Eleanor and Maddie will be released.
Bosch hangs up and explains that Marks wants to trade Eleanor and Maddie for Rykov, and Edgar theorizes that Rykov knows something dangerous to Marks's operations. Bosch still refuses to contact the LVMPD or the FBI.
In Los Angeles, Arceneaux's crew arrives at the drop house and rip the door open with chains; Arceneaux, Riley, and Piccininni head inside to secure the money, while George subdues a man outside. The crew then quickly escapes under fire.
At the Clark County jail, Bosch explains to Rykov that Marks has kidnapped Eleanor and Maddie in order to trade them for Lucky. Rykov doubts the claim, but Bosch insists that if Rykov doesn't help him rescue his daughter and ex-wife, the detective will turn Lucky over to Marks. Bosch shows Rykov the security footage from Eleanor's house; Rykov identifies the kidnappers as "Tom" and "Jerry," who can be found at a safehouse in Tule Springs.
At the LAPD Headquarters Building, Deputy Chief Irving watches a tracking program on his computer before calling Lt. Howard Lau to ask about George's whereabouts. Lau assures Irving that his son is following protocol, and explains that he will meet with George the next morning.
In Tule Springs, Bosch and Edgar arm themselves with shotguns and rifles before approaching the house that Rykov sent them to. They soon spot one of the kidnappers in the kitchen, and the second in the living room guarding Eleanor and Maddie.
Inside the house, the brothers watch a fight on television before the signal goes out, and Jerry instructs Tom to go outside and check the satellite dish. Outside, Tom adjusts the dish moments before Bosch knocks him unconscious an zipties his arms, taking his handgun. The detectives then head into the house, where Bosch holds Tom at gunpoint while Edgar subdues and handcuffs Billy.
Before leaving the safehouse, Eleanor implores Bosch not to call the police, insisting that neither she nor Maddie will testify against Marks. Bosch agrees on the condition that Eleanor and Maddie come to Los Angeles the next day to stay with him until the case is settled. She agrees, and Bosch instructs Edgar to drive Eleanor and Maddie home to pack things before bringing them back to the hotel.
Alone with Tom, Bosch puts down his rifle and takes off his jacket, then steps up to the kidnapper and reminds him that he held a gun to Bosch's daughter's head.
In Los Angeles, O'Grady drops off George and Arceneaux, who get into Irving's car and head into the city.
At the LAPD Headquarters Building, Deputy Chief Irving watches the tracking program to see George's car traveling on San Fernando Mission Boulevard.
The next morning, Eleanor and Maddie leave their house with Bosch and Edgar.
At the airport, Bosch tells Eleanor that he and Edgar will be back in Los Angeles that evening after Rykov's extradition hearing, and gives her a key to his house before explaining that Billets will send officers to pick her and Maddie up at the airport. Maddie begs her father to return to Los Angeles with them, but Bosch refuses, promising that none of Marks's men will ever both her or her mother again. Before they leave, Bosch informs Eleanor of the location of several firearms throughout his house.
At the extradition hearing, Bosch and Edgar meet Rykov's lawyer, Dave Warren, and Bosch assures him that Rykov will be delivered directly to Los Angeles without any stops. Rykov is then brought into the courtroom, where Marty Weiss watches as Warren informs the judge that Rykov does not wish to contest extradition to California.
Outside the Clark County Regional Justice Center, Bosch approaches Weiss; while the lawyer is in the middle of a call, Bosch takes the cellphone from his hand and warns Marks to stay away from his family.
At the Clark County jail, Bosch and Edgar transport Rykov out of the building before Felton approaches Bosch to inform him that a vehicle registered to Lilliat Saroyan at Tony Allen's Las Vegas "business office" has been in the LVMPD's impound lot for a week since it was discovered abandoned at a Greyhound station. Bosch then assures Felton that if Rykov gives up information on Marks, LVMPD will be his first call.
In the car on the way back to Los Angeles, Rykov denies killing Allen despite Edgar's insistence that Marks ordered the murder; Rykov further claims that Warren is going to take apart Iverson's search warrant, and remains convinced that Bosch planted the gun that he found in Rykov's toilet tank. Edgar then claims that if Rykov goes free, Marks will have him killed, and Bosch suggests cooperating with the investigation instead.
At the Hollywood station in Los Angeles, Bosch and Edgar escort Rykov to the booking station, where Bosch instructs Officer Pahinui to put Rykov in isolation, and to inform the Sheriffs that pick him up to keep him in protective custody. Bosch then encounters Mankiewicz, who informs the detective that Billets wants to see him; Bosch finds his lieutenant, and explains that Eleanor and Maddie are shaken up but safe, and Billets encourages Bosch to convince Eleanor to file a report against her kidnappers. Bosch insists that his ex-wife won't do that, but assures her that Marks will punish the two men for their failure.
That night, Bosch returns to his house in the Hollywood Hills to find Eleanor and Maddie, and the three eat Mexican take-out from Poquito Más. Eleanor tells Bosch that Maddie seems to be fine, but admits that she can't be sure, and Bosch offers to set up a meeting with the behaviorist he saw following the incident with Pounds. Eleanor suggests waiting a few days. Bosch explains that Rykov's extradition went smoothly, but tells Eleanor that she and Maddie shouldn't return to Las Vegas yet.
At O'Grady's residence, Arceneaux assures George that they didn't kill anyone at the drop house, and O'Grady gives George his part of the money. Soon after, Nash arrives; Arceneaux's crew address him as "Cap," and he commends George on his performance, promising him that "there's good times ahead" and claiming that George is "the key that's gonna unlock a lot of new doors." George tells Nash that he's just glad to be part of the team, but Nash claims that George must survive "the Iron Rodeo" before he will be part of the team.
Nash's crew drives to an oil pumpjack outside the city, where George strips down to his underwear and puts on a jumpsuit, and Arceneaux pilots his quadcopter. George climbs the pumpjack and straddles the walking beam, while O'Grady searches his clothing for a recording device. She finds Irving's wristwatch, which she believes is a wire, and Nash instructs her to wipe the device's memory; she leaves as George does push-ups on top of the walking beam, and Deputy Chief Irving watches from his car across the street.
- Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch
- Jamie Hector as Jerry Edgar
- Amy Aquino as Grace Billets
- Sarah Clarke as Eleanor Wish
- Madison Lintz as Maddie Bosch
- Jeri Ryan as Veronica Allen
- with Brent Sexton as Carl Nash
- and Lance Reddick as Irvin Irving
- James Ransome as Eddie Arceneaux
- Robbie Jones as George Irving
- Matthew Lillard as Luke Rykov
- Scott Klace as John Mankiewicz
- Leisha Hailey as Maureen O'Grady
- Sean Blakemore as John Felton
- Ming Lo as Howard Lau
- Christopher Cousins as Marty Weiss
- Arthur Darbinyan as Krikorian
- Michelle Page as Harmony
- Angela Gots as Yelena
- Stephen Full as Luxe Apartment Manager
- Nick Gomez as Riley
- Americus Abesamis as Kiko Pahinui
- Rick Otto as Bernardo Piccinini
- Hio Pelesasa as Tom
- Atticus Todd as Jerry
- Michael Yebba as Billy
- Jake Matthews as Kamran
- Oxana Lovich as Oxana
- Arnell Powell as David Warren
- Andy S. Allen as Deputy DA Ken Kildahl
- Victoria Hoffman as Judge Judy Steinblatt
- Angela Matemotja as Tess Deleeuw
- Laura Schiff, CSA - Casting
- and Carrie Audino, CSA - Casting
- Jesse Voccia - Music
- Terrill Lee Lankford - Consulting Producer
- Diane Frolov - Consulting Producer
- & Andrew Schneider - Consulting Producer
- Tom Smuts - Co-Executive Producer
- William N. Fordes - Co-Executive Producer
- Mikkel Bondesen - Executive Producer
- Jan David Frouman - Executive Producer
- Pieter Jan Brugge - Executive Producer
- Henrik Bastin - Executive Producer
- Michael Connelly - Executive Producer
- Eric Overmyer - Executive Producer
- Michael Connelly - Based on the Novels by
- Eric Overmyer - Developed for television by
- William N. Fordes - Written for television by
- Ernest Dickerson - Director
- Mark Douglas - Co-Producer
- Jamie Boscardin Martin - Associate Producer
- Francesco Tignini - Unit Production Manager
- Ian Calip - First Assistant Director
- Kathleen D. Bernnan - Second Assistant Director
- Joseph E. Gallagher - Director of Photography
- Chester Kaczenski - Production Designer
- Steven Cohen, ACE - Editor
- Catherine Adair - Costume Designer
- Joe Gonzalez - Story Editor
- Tom Bernardo - Staff Writer
- Paul Schreiber - Supervising Location Manager
- Marc Dabe - Art Director
- Betty Berberian - Set Decorator
- Margery Kimbrough - Script Supervisor
- Helen Geier, CSA - Casting
- Tim Marcia - Technical Consultant
- Mitzi Roberts - Technical Consultant
- Rick Jackson - Technical Consultant
- The license plate on Tom and Jerry's Dodge Ram Van is WR4·23G.
- The phone number of Wild Nature Florist is 702.555.0176.
- The password to Eleanor's laptop is 011001.
- The license plate on Maureen O'Grady's borrowed Chevy Suburban is 2ABM543.
- Bosch wears tattoos on his right forearm that reads "EWA 030305 CBW Lone Wolf" with a bear's face above the words and a wolf's face below the words; next to the words and faces are tattoos of a fist, a stick, a revolver, and a knife. On his left forearm, he wears tattoos of a harp between the numbers "99" and "02" above the words "QUINN CORA 06," with a pair of hands holding a heart wearing a crown beneath the words.
- The license plate on Eddie Arceneaux's Chevy Tahoo is 6PCI179.
- The license plate on Carl Nash's truck is 3DHI832.
- The license plate on Nick Riley's car is 6PCI620.
- The license plate on Maureen O'Grady's Ford Fusion Hybrid is 1E49905.
- The license plate on Irvin Irving's Buick is 9049972.
- "(Bosch 2x01)"
|(S1) • Bosch Season Two episodes • (S3)|
|"Trunk Music" • "The Thing About Secrets" • "Victim of the Night" • "Who's Lucky Now?" • "Gone"|
"Heart Attack" • "Exit Time" • "Follow the Money" • "Queen of Martyrs" • "Everybody Counts"